The Troubleshooter is a patch that allows you to use the Act Labs PC USB Light Gun or TV USB Light Gun
with a number of old PC rail shooters that normally do not support these guns.
Although the Act Labs light gun functions as a mouse, several older mouse-based
shooting games do not handle the mouse in a way that is compatible with the gun.
They read input from the mouse in relative mode, but the light
gun only works in absolute mode. (See
History for a more detailed explanation.)
The Troubleshooter bridges the gap between the Act Labs light guns and
these games. It also adds support
for two-player games, using two light guns!
(Dual PC USB Light Guns not supported in Windows 2000.)
What This Isn't: The Troubleshooter does not fix any problems with the games
themselves. If you are having difficulty running a particular game on your computer,
The Troubleshooter will not help you.
Release NotesVersion 2.3.2
Added support for a minor variant of House of the Dead 3.
- Fixed: Player 2 trigger acts as Start button in House of the Dead 3 using TV guns.
- House of the Dead 3 two-player lightgun support.
- Preliminary ePSXe support.
Control panel now contains separate entries for Single PC USB gun and Single TV USB gun, as the behavior
of the TV and PC guns are slightly different.
- Improved responsiveness in certain games.
- New variants of House of the Dead 2 supported.
- "Abandonware" version of Virtua Squad now supported.
- Fixed: When either player holds down the reload button, neither player can shoot.
- Fixed: If you hold down the reload button while shooting, the troubleshooter may get stuck in an odd state requiring you to reload again before you can shoot.
- Fixed: When Troubleshooter is disabled in control panel, Windows XP keeps trying to reinstall it.
- Patch officially renamed to The Troubleshooter .
- Added support for dual PC USB Light Guns in Windows 98/ME (requires DirectX 8 or higher).
- Added support for Virtua Squad 1.
- Files are now installed to one central location, no longer copied to each game's exe folder.
- Added new Control Panel applet for easy configuration of light guns and game options.
- Automatic detection of supported game variants. (No more need to guess which version of House of the Dead 2 you have.)
- Added support for the Xplosiv Software version of House of the Dead 2.
- Added support for Virtua Cop 2 (same as Virtua Squad 2, but just different enough to need its own fix).
- Added support for a version of House of the Dead 2 published by Empire Interactive.
- Removed some minor debugging code that I forgot to clean out of version 1.5.
- Added support for multiple PC USB Light Guns using "Raw Input" mechanism in Windows XP.
- Added DirectInputShimConfig.exe utility to facilitate Raw Input Device selection.
- First version. Supports House of the Dead 1 & 2, Virtua Squad 2, and Die Hard Trilogy 2. Supports two players only with TV USB light guns.